Different Ways to Prevent a Blocked Drain for Better Living
Any clogged drain will not only cause problems in the normal functioning of your kitchen and bathrooms but will also cause several health issues in the due course of time. A blocked drain can really be very troublesome when you are in hurry and the water in the shower area simply will not clear away. Either you will have to wash yourself standing in the dirty water or put your bathing schedule on hold until you call a professional to get the drains cleared. The common and usual reason for a clogged drain is the entry of foreign objects like solidified fat and grease inside the pipes of your bathroom and kitchen.
Disadvantages of A Clogged Drain
If you have a blocked drain at home, it will cause you a lot of problems. The common disadvantages of having a clogged drain are as follows:
- You will not be able to turn the faucet like before as the accumulated water will take a lot of time to clear causing a delay in your daily schedule.
- You will not be able to do normal jobs like brushing your teeth, cleaning your dishes, taking bath and even using the toilet.
- You will have to engage in an extra activity of cleaning the drain clog which is often ineffective or partially effective due to your inexperience.
To avoid such situations, you will need to have your drainage system inspected by professionals at least once a year.
The Health Risks
According to the health experts, any blocked drain left like that over time will cause major health issues. Blocked sewers are a serious hygiene risks especially those near your house or even a marketplace where fresh meat and other vegetables are sold. Blocked and leaking sewers will give rise to several germs carrying insects which will add to the woes. Some of the common health diseases that may arise due to blocked drains are:
- Campylobacteriosis – This is an infectious disease caused by the Campylobacter bacteria. Common ailments are nausea, diarrhea, fever, abdominal cramps, and tiredness.
- Typhoid – Kids are prone to this disease. The common symptoms of this disease include headaches, skin rashes especially in chest and stomach region, constipation and sore throat.
- Peptic Ulcer – This disease is caused by Helicobacter pylori bacterium that causes sores in the stomach and lining of the small intestine that results in dizziness, breathing problems, abdominal pains and blood in stools.
Maintenance of Drains
Proper maintenance of drains will prevent a blocked drain and is the only way for infection control. For this you do not have to be an expert or hire an expert plumber for blocked drain clogs can be done in a few simple steps that include:
- Covering the drain with strainers to prevent entry of foreign objects
- Always run hot water after every use so that any fresh build up is prevented
Use simple home remedies like vinegar and baking soda on a regular basis not only to keep the drain free from clogs but also remove odors.
You May Also Like: Plumbing Services That Make Living Comfortable
Stuffing to be Avoided
There is a big list of things that you should prevent from entering your drains to prevent clogging. The most common stuff causing a blocked drain is the FOG or fat, oil and grease. This includes lard and meat fats, vegetable oils and other dairy products. Other particles to keep at bay are coffee grounds, meat and fish bones, rice and bread, gums and stickers, human and pet hairs, napkins and paper towels, feminine hygiene products, cotton balls, fibrous foods, bottle caps, condoms and a whole lot of other things. In short, let only water enter it as that is what a drain is meant for.