Today, almost everyone in the household can find a dozen eggs on the refrigerator shelf. They are widely used in baking, prepared for breakfast, added to salads, made into various beauty masks and even eaten raw.
Chicken eggs are a nutritional product with a rich composition. They contain many different amino carboxylic acids, vitamins of many groups, carotene and choline. Choline is an element that prevents cholesterol from attaching to the walls of blood vessels. Eggs are always associated with breakfast and good nutrition.
Eggs are not just boiled or fried, they are often eaten raw: eggnog, homemade mayonnaise, French meringue and protein glaze. This is not the complete list of dishes, all of which are very popular. Raw eggs are very common in the beauty industry and beyond.
What type of egg is healthier: raw or hard-boiled?
The benefits of both types of eggs have been debated for a long time. Scientists have repeatedly claimed that boiled eggs are healthier than raw eggs, because people should eat animal foods only after heat treatment. In addition, eggs that are not heat-treated can be the source of a dangerous disease. We are talking about an intestinal infection that affects the digestive tract – salmonellosis. You can only catch the disease from eggs laid by a sick hen. This is why you need to be sure of the purity of raw foods before consuming them.
But there has also been a lot of talk about the benefits of raw eggs. Foods cooked at high temperatures lose some of their nutrients.
Whether you eat raw or boiled eggs doesn’t really matter. They both have their pros and cons – the important thing is to be sure of their quality and how they can benefit you.
How to tell the difference between a hard boiled egg and a raw egg?
It is customary to put them in the refrigerator to prevent food from spoiling. Many people, after boiling eggs, store them in the refrigerator to keep them fresh until the next breakfast or dinner. And as is often the case, hard-boiled and raw eggs are mixed together on the same shelf in the refrigerator. So how do you tell the difference between a raw egg and a hard-boiled egg without damaging the shell? There are a few tricks for this.
This is the most well-known control method. The essence of the method involves unrolling the egg and assessing its movement. How to do it:
- Lower the edge onto a smooth, hard surface, most often a kitchen table.
- Place your hand on the egg, thumb on one side and the other on the opposite side.
- Unroll it.
- After you start spinning, press it with your finger.
After the method is performed correctly, you can determine the condition of the egg by its activity:
- A cooked product rotates around its axis quickly and evenly, and after pressing a finger, it quickly stops.
- A raw egg rotates slowly, turning over, and when pressure is applied to it, it does not stop immediately, but can take up to two revolutions.
Why this happens: two eggs with different insides have different centers of gravity. A hard-boiled egg is a solid object. A raw egg has a hard shell and is filled with liquid inside, causing the two eggs to turn out differently.
This method is considered simple, but not the most effective. The main thing: hearing what’s going on under the shell. How to do it:
- Put the egg in your hand.
- Bring it to the ear.
- Shake it.
A characteristic sound will be heard inside the raw egg, the egg will wobble, which means that the yolk is liquid or, more precisely, raw. If there is no sound, nothing is separating from the shell, so the egg is cooked.
Another little trick that many housewives use. They make the egg shine through. You can use daylight or artificial light (lamp or torch) for this method. How to do it :
- Create darkness in the room (turn off the lights, close the curtains).
- Turn on the light (a torch is best).
- Hold the torch against the egg.
Due to its consistency, a hard-boiled egg will not allow light to pass through. The liquid interior of a raw egg will show through.
To avoid subjecting the eggs to re-cooking, you can test them in boiling water. To do this :
- Take them out of the refrigerator in advance so that they are at room temperature.
- Prepare boiling water in a saucepan or pot.
- Dip the eggs with a spoon for 15 seconds.
- Take them out.
If small bubbles form around the shell, the egg is raw. It has many small pores on the surface, through which air penetrates. The embryo needs it to breathe. When an egg is placed in boiling water, the temperature causes gas to escape and bubbles to form. In a boiled egg, all the gas has been released during the previous cooking, so no bubbles form.
This method is only useful for the next cooking, because an egg that has been immersed in boiling water can no longer be stored for a long time. It is best if it is boiled and ready to use.
Useful advice! To avoid confusing the eggs after cooking, you need to use a few tips:
- Mark the boiled ones with a food marker.
- Store them in different containers on different shelves in the refrigerator.
- Dye while boiling (with coloring, onion husks or hibiscus tea).
With these tips, mixing eggs will be simply impossible.
Composition et calories
An egg consists of two main components, egg white and egg yolk. Each has its own amount of nutrients and energy content. An egg weighs between 40 and 70 grams. Calories are calculated based on 100 grams. Therefore, when calculating the amount of calories, proteins, fats and carbohydrates consumed, one must take into account one’s weight.
An egg contains more than ten basic components:
- Vitamines B.
- Vitamines A, C, D, E, K, H, PP.
- Potassium, calcium, magnesium.
- Zinc, selenium, copper.
- Manganese, iron, chromium.
- Sulfur, iodine, fluorine.
These are not all the constituents of eggs. Chicken protein is a rich source of protein, choline, lecithin, which contributes to adequate blood supply to the brain, improving memory and reducing the risk of sclerosis.
The main constituents of yolk are polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fatty acids (more than 70%), there is also a small amount of unsaturated fatty acids (30%). Egg yolk contains cholesterol, but thanks to choline, which regulates fat and cholesterol levels, the egg is not a source of “bad” cholesterol.
The shell is not left out, it is rich in calcium, which strengthens bones, restores hair and stimulates their growth, and reduces the fragility of nails. They are washed, stripped of their membranes, dried and ground into powder. The powder from the shells is added to tea or water, taking courses no more than twice a year.
For those who monitor the diet or calculate the FAC rate, it is important to know the energy value of raw eggs:
For 100g of product:
- Protein – 12.7 g.
- Fats – 10.9 g.
- Carbohydrates – 0.7 g.
- Calories – 157.
How are raw chicken eggs useful?
The composition of raw eggs is surprisingly rich in vitamins, nutrients and minerals. Their consumption in their raw form allows you to recover more quickly from various colds. The product is often used by singers and actors to lubricate the mucous membranes and ligaments of the larynx. Raw eggs are widely used in the sports world due to their pure protein content.
- The beauty. The abundance of vitamins in a raw egg is beneficial for a woman’s beauty. Regular consumption of one unit per day strengthens nails and hair. The product is also beneficial for teeth and gums.
- Cancer prevention. Many people believe that to prevent breast cancer, you should eat raw eggs, as their enzymes help the body reduce the risk of tumors and metastases. The main enzyme, choline, better known as vitamin B4, has the ability to repair tissues and eliminate various toxins and enzymes that disrupt internal organs.
- Strengthening immunity. Low immunity is a serious problem that handicaps the entire body. Women are most often affected by this process. Raw eggs can also help solve this problem. An abundance of vitamins helps the body produce immune cells and strengthen immunity.
- Activation of brain function. Improving blood supply to the brain provides more oxygen to the brain. The brain then begins to work actively, memory improves and the risk of eye pressure decreases.
- Protein helps men actively build muscle mass. Athletes around the world have long consumed raw eggs to increase muscle mass. Protein (or pure protein) increases muscle endurance, increases the amount of energy, and therefore the body becomes stronger. With regular use and active gym attendance, your muscles become more muscular.
- Beneficial effects on potency. The high levels of vitamins and trace elements help men maintain an erection. The proteins and zinc contained in the egg are responsible for the production of testosterone. Consumption of one piece per day contributes to the normal functioning of the male sexual system.
- Reduce the risk of prostatitis. Universal composition of raw eggs beneficial to the outflow of bile, normalizes liver function. The condition of the prostate directly depends on the condition of the liver and bile ducts. By drinking raw eggs, men reduce the risk of prostatitis.
- Improve the quality of ejaculate. The quality of ejaculate directly depends on the quantity of amino acids supplied to the body. The amino acids present in raw eggs contribute to the normal production of male sex hormones.
When she is pregnant
An expectant mother always wants what is best for her baby. While carrying her baby, the woman carefully monitors her diet. So that the baby’s development does not lag behind, you need to eat foods with high nutritional value. It is a product such as raw eggs.
By adding a raw egg to her diet, the mother-to-be can count on its positive effects for the baby.
- Stability of the hormonal background. The most important advantage of raw eggs, which doctors emphasize, is that they can maintain a woman’s hormonal background at a normal level. During pregnancy, when the body is constantly changing, when a woman’s psychological health is threatened by a surge of hormones, an egg can be a lifesaver. Vitamin B4 helps normalize the nervous system and hormone levels.
- Healthy hair, nails and teeth. Conventional wisdom holds that pregnant women give half of their health to their babies, leading to deterioration of hair, nails, teeth and facial rashes. The vitamins and minerals found in eggs can help solve these problems.
- The proper development of the fetus. Doctors necessarily prescribe taking folic acid until the 12th week of pregnancy. The egg in its composition contains folic acid, which is well absorbed by the body, which means that the child will develop in accordance with the term.
The lactation period is one of the most important times in a woman’s life. And the main task of a mother is to give the best to her baby. Although eggs are a source of protein, choline and many other nutrients, you should not eat them while breastfeeding. There is a high probability that a child will have an allergic reaction to this product.
Scientists have proven that raw quail eggs are good for children. Their composition is ideal for the stomach of an immature child, they are easy to digest and help solve certain problems.
- Reduce the risk of diathesis. Diathesis is a reaction of the child to various products. It is associated with age, with the introduction of each new product. There are also many different factors that can turn your baby’s cheeks red. Raw quail eggs tend to coat the walls of the stomach and reduce the risk of diathesis recurrence.
- Increased calcium levels in the body. Regular consumption of eggs by children helps prevent calcium deficiency. It can cause brittle bones, teeth, hair and nails. All these problems can be solved by giving quail eggs to children.
- Mental and physical development. All parents want their child to enjoy new achievements and discoveries. It’s a good idea to eat raw eggs to maintain your child’s physical activity level. Rich in many different elements, they help increase brain function and also develop your child’s physical strength.
For weight loss
The high amount of protein makes eggs a good aid for weight loss. Digestion will also be a positive aspect. Cooked eggs are 98% digestible, while raw eggs are 60% digestible. This means that the body will automatically receive fewer calories and carbohydrates, which are the main sources of excess weight.
Benefits and harms of raw quail eggs
Small quail eggs, despite their size, contain a huge amount of useful elements. They are considered one of the most valuable foods. They contain almost the entire Mendeleev table, and entire books about their benefits for humans can be found in the archives of ancient medicine. But despite everything, quail eggs, like any other product, have positive and negative qualities.
- Strengthen the cardiovascular system, reduce the risk of high blood pressure, coronary heart disease.
- Restore and strengthen the immune system.
- Contribute to the elimination of toxins, toxicants and heavy metals from the body, thus reducing the risk of malignant tumors.
- Normalize the hormonal background of women, have a beneficial effect on reproductive performance.
- Reduce the risk of myoma, uterine polyps, mastitis.
- Thanks to a large amount of vitamin A, it helps strengthen bones, increase visual acuity.
- For men, can act as an aphrodisiac.
- Strengthen the nervous system. Eggs contain substances that promote the excretion of phenols from the body. Thanks to this, irritability is reduced and mental abilities are improved.
We must remember that it is only a food and not a panacea. Apart from their good qualities, quail eggs can also have negative effects on the body.
- Allergies. It should be remembered that protein is not only a beneficial substance, but also a powerful allergen. The most common allergy to quail eggs occurs in children. Doctors recommend only including them in your child’s diet in small quantities.
- Salmonellosis. Eating raw eggs from any feathered quail is dangerous due to the risk of contracting salmonellosis. Quail can also carry the disease. Check the quality and freshness of the product before consuming it.
Consumption of raw quail eggs is contraindicated for people with protein intolerance, suffering from atherosclerosis and liver and kidney diseases. When consuming large amounts of protein, the general condition deteriorates and the symptoms of the disease become more pronounced.
Raw eggs in medicine
Raw eggs were already in great demand for the treatment of various ailments. They were used to treat a number of ailments, added to tinctures, and made into various powders and ointments. Over the years, raw eggs are still in vogue among followers of folk medicine, they are used for a variety of ailments.
For diabetes mellitus
There are many different recipes in folk medicine for the treatment of diabetes. Many of these formulations are made with or with the addition of raw egg. The micronutrients contained in them relieve inflammation of the pancreas, so insulin production is normalized.
Despite their high fat and cholesterol content, eggs are very useful for pancreatitis. Since proteins are easy to digest, the affected cells are restored, the secretion of enzymes is normalized and the feeling of hunger disappears. It is very useful, especially for those who are dieting.
It has long been known that eggs can inhibit the development of the bacteria Helicobacter pylori, which causes gastritis. Doctors and folk medicine agree that raw eggs are useful not only for gastritis, but also for other stomach diseases. This protein coats the lining of the stomach from the inside, soothes it and reduces inflammation.
In the past, doctors used the conservative method to treat the stomach. The gist of the method was to drink one raw egg, gradually increasing the amount to 7-8 at a time. It was as follows: the patient drank one egg on the morning of the first day, two on the second day and four on the fourth day. The treatment lasted a maximum of eight days. Today, this method is practically no longer used and medications are preferred.
To relieve inflammation, swelling and pain in the stomach, you should take a course of raw eggs:
- Chicken – in the morning, on an empty stomach for 30 days;
- Quails – 3 pieces each, lasting for a month.
For the intestines
The nutritional value of eggs for the intestines is great. If you consume 1 egg per day, your body is able to restore its function. This protein coats the mucous walls of the large and small intestines. The product prevents the development of cancer in different parts of the intestine. It raises the immune system, which depends on the proper functioning of the intestine, reduces inflammation, and stops the development of pathogens.
Obstruction of the large intestine is always accompanied by many problems. Dietitians recommend eating no more than two eggs per day. However, they must be heat treated (like a boiled egg or scrambled egg). Eating raw is not recommended in case of constipation.
In the gout
It is important to follow a diet in the presence of gout. Most diets completely restrict egg consumption. However, some may include some, but no more than one egg per day.
For the liver
For liver diseases, doctors advise consuming this product, as its composition helps repair damaged cells in the organ. Lecithin also regulates cholesterol levels, which is very important for normal liver function.
Raw eggs are prohibited for people with cirrhosis and chronic hepatitis.
Inflammation of the gallbladder is divided into two large groups depending on the tone and motility of the bile ducts. If motility is reduced, then raw eggs will be very useful, as they help to reduce the muscles of the gallbladder, but those who have it too active, the use of this product is strictly prohibited.
Raw eggs in cosmetics
Raw eggs are not only useful if consumed internally. A variety of egg-based masks can restore hair, strengthen nails, even out skin tone and get rid of those nasty black spots.
For the face
Creating a face mask at home is not only fun, but it’s also good for your skin. The abundance of different chemicals in cosmetics alters the complexion, closes pores and increases the risk of acne. The main goal of homemade egg masks is to provide the skin with a supplement of beneficial vitamins and minerals.
Honey Facial Cleansing Mask
- Egg – 1 egg.
- Honey – 1 teaspoon.
- Mayonnaise – 1 teaspoon.
- Crushed fresh berries – 1 tbsp.
- Oat flour (wheat flour is perfect) – as needed.
Mix all the ingredients, except the flour, until you get a liquid slurry. Gradually add flour, stirring frequently. Bring to a thicker consistency so you can spread it on the face. Apply to cleansed face, hold for 15 minutes, rinse with cool clean water.
- Egg – 1 egg.
- Grated carrot – 2 tbsp.
Mix the ingredients, apply to the face and leave on for 15 minutes, then rinse with clean water.
Practical advice: When applying masks to areas of dry skin, it is first necessary to lubricate them with oil (olive, almond, pistachio) – then the composition will act evenly.
Removing excessive shine from the skin
- Egg – 1 egg.
- Grated raw potatoes – 2 tbsp.
Mix the two ingredients and apply to the face, rinse with water after 15 minutes. This mask removes shine from the skin and evens out facial tone.
Black polka dot mask
Based on egg yolk and clay:
- Yolk of the 1st egg.
- Pink clay – ½ tbsp.
Dissolve the clay in egg yolk and apply it to the face, then rinse with cool water after 10 minutes. The mask eliminates visible signs of blackheads and tightens pores.
Protein against black spots:
- Proteins from the first egg.
- Honey – 10 gr.
Beat the egg white until frothy, add the honey and knead well. Apply to problem areas of the face, after 10 minutes, rinse with cool water. The mask will help clear pores, thereby reducing the number of blackheads.
Protein mask using wipes
- Protein from the 1st egg.
- Use paper towels or washcloths.
Whisk the egg white until it becomes foamy. Clean the face, spread a thin layer of egg white on the skin. Put paper napkins cut into convenient pieces on top of the protein. Wait until it is completely dry. Then, in one quick motion, tear the wipes off the face. The procedure can be painful.
The towel will leave “stretched” blackheads on the face. Such a mask is not suitable for everyone, but only for those who have large pores, which classic masks cannot clean.
The simplest method, which was started many years ago and is still used today, is to wash your hair with a regular raw egg so that the hair absorbs all the beneficial vitamins.
Shampooed hair is often tangled and difficult to detangle. An egg yolk based hair conditioner should do the trick. To prepare a conditioner, you will need the following ingredients:
- 2 egg yolks.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- A little water.
Whisk the yolks well, add the olive oil, mix well. To make application easier, add a little warm water. The conditioner is ready. After washing your hair, remove excess moisture with a terry towel and apply the egg-oil mixture to the hair. Rinse with cool water after 10 minutes.
To make your hair look cleaner after washing, rinse it with cool, almost cold water. The scales will then close and the hair will no longer frizz too much. Hot water will only open the scales further.
Fight Hair Loss
- Cocoa powder – 70g.
- Milk – 50 ml.
- Cognac – 30 ml.
- An egg yolk.
Pour the brandy and egg yolk into a bowl and whisk until frothy. Add the milk and cocoa and whisk again until the mixture begins to foam. Apply to a clean scalp and massage to penetrate the mixture. Do not distribute the mixture over the entire length of the hair as the brandy can dry out the ends. Wrap your head in plastic wrap (or cling film). Tie them with a scarf or hat. Rinse after 40 minutes with clean water.
Do not use the mask more than twice a week for two months. If you don’t use it for two months, take a two-month break.
Nourish and moisturize dry hair
- Egg yolk – 1 piece.
- Ungreased kefir – half a cup.
- Mayonnaise – one tablespoon.
Beat the egg yolk in a bowl and add the rest of the ingredients. The mask is ready. Apply over the entire length of the hair and work into the scalp. Pack well. Rinse with clean water after an hour.
Lamination effect in a single application
- Protein – from one egg.
- Sour cream – 3 tbsp.
- Avocado – half.
Peel the avocado, puree it (the easiest way is to do this with an immersion blender). Lightly beat the egg white with a fork, mix with the avocado and crème fraîche. Apply the mixture to the scalp and distribute it over the entire length of the hair. Wrap well with cling film and warm your head. Keep the mask on for 15 minutes. Wash with shampoo.
The effect will be stronger if you use shampoo with silicone additives, which smooth porous hair.
Disadvantages and contraindications
Despite its benefits, raw egg, like all foods, has contraindications and negative effects if not consumed properly.
- Salmonellosis contamination is the first and most important thing to know before using raw eggs.
- Allergies – chicken protein is quite common, especially in children under 10 years old.
- High fat content (excessive egg consumption) contributes to poor fat absorption. The consequences can be high cholesterol levels and weight gain.
- Eggs should not be consumed by people with a protein allergy.
- People with metabolic disorders should never eat raw eggs. Large amounts of protein make the body work hard to assimilate them. If metabolism is disrupted, the product cannot be absorbed, which can lead to health problems.
- It is not recommended to use this product for people suffering from high cholesterol due to the presence of cholesterol in eggs.
Shelf life of raw eggs
Like most animal products, eggs have a short shelf life, which strongly depends on the temperature regime.
- Diet eggs are stored for no more than 7 days.
- Storage: in the refrigerator for up to 90 days, at room temperature below 19 degrees for up to 25 days.
Why does a raw egg float in cold water?
There is a simple trick to checking the freshness of eggs. Just immerse the egg in cold water and you will immediately know if it is fresh or not. The shell is impregnated with numerous micropores which provide air to the future embryo. So, after a while, when the future chick needs oxygen, the pores let in air. The longer the egg sits, the more oxygen builds up under the shell. This is why an expired product will always float. In addition, there are little tricks that allow you to know how long an egg has been lying.
- If it immediately sinks to the bottom, it means it is fresh.
- If it has floated and the blunt end is facing up, the egg is about a week old. It is liquid and can be eaten, but it is best cooked, made into an omelet or boiled.
- If it has floated to the top, it is more than 30 days old and should not be used, even after being cooked.
Can eggs be frozen?
Eggs that are frozen in the freezer lose their properties, texture and nutrients. But when you separate the whites and yolks, you can freeze the latter: their structure allows you to store them in the refrigerator chamber, but not for more than six months.
Rules for eating raw eggs
Eggs should be washed well with soap and water before eating.
Eggs can be eaten in different ways. Some people mix them with fruit or vegetable juice. Some people just stir them and drink them with salt, while others drink them without any additives. Both ways are acceptable.
Can you drink raw eggs every day?
The digestibility of raw eggs is 30% lower than that of cooked eggs. But the benefits of raw eggs are much greater. They can be eaten fresh for 30 to 40 days straight. After that, you definitely need to take a break, because an overabundance of vitamins and proteins can lead to many health problems.
Can you drink raw eggs at bedtime and on an empty stomach?
Eggs should not be eaten at bedtime, as the body needs energy to digest food. Doctors recommend drinking eggs in the morning, when the body is full of energy and digestion is especially productive.
Eggs should be consumed on an empty stomach to benefit from their healing properties. The protein will then function properly in the stomach and intestines. It is best to have breakfast no earlier than after 30 minutes.
Can you drink raw eggs from the store?
Eggs can be eaten raw – without cooking – only if the rules are strictly followed:
- Eggs should be fresh and of the best quality possible.
- They should be washed with soap and running water before consumption.
Can you give raw eggs to animals?
Animals also need vitamins and nutrients that are contained in eggs. Animals can be given raw or cooked eggs. The important thing is quantity and frequency. Eggs should be given to pets with caution, no more than one per day and no more than a few times per week.
The consumption of raw eggs is purely individual and is also a matter of taste. We should not forget about all the positive qualities of this product, but we must always keep in mind that caution is necessary.
- The record for the number of eggs eaten in one sitting is 144, held by an American citizen since 1910.
- Eggs will last longer if placed in the refrigerator with the blunt end facing up. The air pocket at the end collects bacteria, so if you don’t turn the testicles over, they won’t get into the protein.
- The average size of an ostrich egg is 20 centimeters. In 2010, a hen outperformed an ostrich and laid an egg 23 centimeters in diameter. This landed him in the Guinness Book of World Records.
- A hen can reproduce eggs without the help of a rooster – these eggs are called “chatter”. No chick can get out.
- Alfred Hitchcock had a phobia of oval objects. His biggest fear was eggs.